Join me and other Catholic bloggers at Conversion Diary for 7 Quick Takes Friday.
This week, I’d like to share seven of my all-time favorite Easter and Lent movies.
1. The Passion of the Christ This is one of the most powerful movies I have ever seen. Jim Caviezel is outstanding as Christ. Mel Gibson’s direction is superb. Our family watches this every year on Good Friday, although I still can’t stomach the scourging scene.
2. Ben Hur I’ve seen this movie about 100 times, but still enjoy watching it. Ben Hur won the Oscar for Best Picture in 1960 in addition to ten other Oscars.
3. The Robe I watched this movie every year with my father when I was growing up. It’s the story of the man who takes charge of Jesus’ cloak after the crucifixion. Great writing, acting and characters.
4. King of Kings As a child, I loved watching Jeffrey Hunter’s portrayal of Jesus. Outstanding movie.
5. Jesus Christ Superstar There are some who don’t like this movie because of the way it portrays Mary Magdalene, not to mention the portrayal of Jesus. However, I look at this movie as pure entertainment and not so much as a religion lesson. I have wonderful memories of watching this movie with my mother, who enjoyed the music and dancing.
6. Easter Parade I love an old-fashioned musical and this is a great one to watch around Easter. Judy Garland and Fred Astaire are at their best. Again, pure entertainment.
7. The Ten Commandments This was one of the first videos we ever bought many years ago. The special effects of the parting of the Red Sea are still incredible to watch. Charlton Heston plays Moses to perfection (“Let my people go”) and Yul Brynner is the evil Pharaoh.
Do you have any favorite Easter/Lent movies? Feel free to share in the comment section below.
For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary.
Copyright 2012 Ellen Gable Hrkach